I am on Facebook

Tuesday 29 July 2014

Alpine Strawberries chains and new exciting projects on the go.

Just back from a week's holiday at the Devon area with the family. Amazing time, visited exciting places, which I am going to write about very soon. The weather was so good, felt like being in South of France again.  Discovered rural England and the English Riviera, so many beautiful spots. 
It’s good to be back home though for some normality after packing so much into one week.
And now I have started on a project for my young daughter’s room. It’s going to be featured in a post where I will explain how it was made, the materials I used and how much it costs, some tips on the making and the final result. I am very excited and happy for the way it is turning out. Can’t wait to share here!
Meanwhile I will be posting about my travel experience and inspirations I came across.
And to start it off, here’s a little happy memory from my early childhood. 
After coming back home yesterday we found large amount of ripe wild Alpine strawberries in our back garden. I showed my little girl this little tip and she kept herself occupied for a long time collecting strawberries and making Strawberries chains/ kebabs (however you want to call them)
Thea Caldwell - Creating a better place every day©
Wild Alpine Strawberries Chains

When I was the age of my younger daughter, I used to go our in the mountains during the summer days with my grandparents. They would cut grass and collect straw for the farm animals and I would explore the surroundings with my two cousins. We knew where the natural water sources were and we knew about plants and wild fruit trees. One of our favourite activity back then was searching for Alpine strawberries and competing who was going to collect more. And this is how we were carrying and eating them.
       You need any small fruit to make this chain, very useful when going for a walk in the Nature and finding wild raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or wild strawberries. Although it can also be done with fruit you would buy from the local stores. 
         All you will need is:
  • Long grass with strong, thin stem and slightly big flowering tip (to hold the fruit on the stem)
  • Excited children and/or adults (never too late to feel like a child again)
  • Start by taking off all sticking out grass leaves from the main stem until left with clean, strong grass stem.
  •  Place the fruit on the grass one by one.
  • Take pictures.
  •  Let children eat the fruit off the grass stems. Fruit will taste twice as nice when eaten this way. Children love it and will eat fruit they probably wouldn’t try other wise. Enjoy!
  • Make sure children do not eat the grass! It is not part of the project, leave this to the animals.  
    Thea Caldwell - Creating a better place every day©
    Grass stem used as carrier for the soft fruit.

    Thea Caldwell - Creating a better place every day©
    Take pictures. Let children eat the fruit off the stem, it's a great fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment